Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Lent Days 5 and 6: Quiet and Focus

Apparently one of the things I cannot do when tired is count.  I marked yesterday's entry incorrectly as Day 6.  So I'm really glad I didn't try balancing my checkbook or working on taxes last night.

There are several sounds that transport me to other times and places, like the cry of a newborn, waves lapping the shore or the automatic transmission of a 1970's Ford -- an LTD to be exact, which always lulled me to sleep on long drives no matter how hard I tried to stay awake.  To this day I'm glad I never driven a similar transmission because I'd be pulled over for DWS -- driving while snoozing if I were lucky enough to survive that situation.

Today I heard the familiar purr and roar of a Honda engine, shifting through local and highway traffic.  I heard it more than I wanted to because this is the first Lenten day in years that I've driven a car for more than a few minutes, and I ached to flip on some tunes or catch some inane sports talk radio or my usual haunt -- news and commentary from NPR.

It's odd, because I have no problem with 'acoustic' walk commuting.  I prefer listening to the wind rustling, birds chirping and especially the sound of motor traffic, essential for pedestrians in a car-centric city like St. Louis.  I can really collect my thoughts during the walks, drifting in and out of task lists or wondering why people (mostly me) do the things they do.

But today I was craving distraction, or something.  I didn't want to hear my faithful Honda engine as my eyes monitored traffic patterns around me.  I wanted to hear the news, badly.  In some ways I felt like Number 5, the robot in "Short Circuit" who achieved sentience in a freak accident and loved learning so much that his favorite line was "more input" (meaning books, movies, etc.).  (And if you haven't seen that movie, Wall-E looked curiously similar to Number 5.)  I wanted to get my news fix so I could be in the loop, in case I actually had the time at work to talk about something, well, other than work.  I enjoy discussing current events, or moreover, hate it when I can't because I've been too busy to stay in touch.

However, today's struggle reminded me that each year, the audio-free commute is one of the best sacrifices I make as part of my Lenten discipline.  I have precious little time to myself and usually have some audio playing all day, like the TV or radio or music.   I might stay "in the loop" but at the expense of listening to myself, and in many ways, listening to God.  It will be interesting to see what happens after Lent and if I continue to write as much when I allow the noise to return... because this last week I've written more consistently than ever before.

2 comments:

Michael Kunz said...

hey dude....nice post....I like to do the long cross-country drive in the summer, windows open...no music, no nothing...just the sound of air rushing by at 75 mph....I only get to do this when alone, because nobody else in the family really enjoys that sensation...if you and I ever do a cross-country drive (and we should, at some point), we should open the windows at 75mph and let 'er fly!

Sherman said...

Dude... we totally have to do that (all of that). The destination should include at least one sporting event, preferably a baseball game in a domeless stadium.

We need to try one eatery that has been reviewed by "The Splendid Table" and perhaps another by Anthony Bourdain.

And some sort of a concert or play.

And it has to be a place I've never been before.

But it's not like I've given this any thought whatsoever.