Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lent Day 1: Spiritual Hunger

I hunger.

Not in the physical or the emotional sense that have wreaked havoc on my health over the past months from stressing over work and other responsibilities.

No, it's a spiritual hunger, aching for renewal and rejuvenation, seeking a sense of peace with others and with myself. And ultimately, with God. I'm missing joy, but not just the feelings associated with joy -- I sense an evolving cynicism and jadedness that I've often faked and mocked in my younger days. I don't greet the day with the enthusiasm I used to, but rather just gird myself to get through what needs doing, as the Powdermilk Biscuits theme song from Prairie Home Companion likes to remind us.

I enter this Lenten season more eager than I ever have. I've planned small changes in my daily routines to start today, Ash Wednesday, to support renewal of myself - body, mind and soul.

No comments: