Friday, March 12, 2010

Lent Day 20: Desmond Tutu and the Two Craigs

Too late, too tired for a long entry tonight, but just enough energy to cite an NPR story on Archbishop Desmond Tutu.  I'd like to say it was NPR providing an inspiring story, but the truth is every story I've ever heard about Tutu has been greatly inspiring.

I've often thought about his life and imagined what I would have done in his shoes.  I don't think I could have come close to what he did.  He faced such cruelty, meanness, and hatred, and yet his responses were/are always so full of love, compassion, and grace.  He truly loved his enemies, and by that I mean he wanted what's best for them, meaning God's love, compassion, grace... and forgiveness.  "Truth and reconciliation" in Tutu's own words.  The NPR story is entitled "We are 'Made for Goodness'" and that's the thread of all of Tutu's sermons.  And indeed every time I've seen him, irrespective of context, he has preached the Word of God and God's love for us.

I was fortunate, make that blessed, to hear him speak at the 2000 ELCA National Youth Gathering here in St. Louis.  I don't remember any of the details but I marveled at the theme of his story of forgiving his enemies.  He kept thousands of young people (and me) on the edges of their seats about his story, which by all accounts should have been ancient history to them.  Though the youth gatherings contain many "mountaintop" experiences, hearing his keynote presentation was "the moment" of that Gathering for me.  I was in tears by the end of his witness to God's love in action.

He's also appeared as a guest on my favorite (and pretty much only) talk show, the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson.  Both men are charming and articulate, with the gift of gab.  Tutu preaches and lives  forgiveness and redemption; Ferguson is a living example of redemption.  I don't know if his redemption is related to his relationship with God, but as a recovering alcoholic, Ferguson is very aware of how close he was to self-destruction and death, and for me, every new show reflects how much he appreciates his life and the beloved people in his life.  It's a subtext that keeps me tethered to his show, but the truth is that he is so darn charismatic, clever, and funny, it's impossible for me to miss his show.  And Ferguson's subtext is what made the Tutu interview so scintillating:  he can turn on a dime between funny and poignant, and keep Tutu in stitches.  It was a pleasure to watch.

Clips:  Ferguson Intro, Ferguson Monologue Pt 1, Monologue Pt 2, Interview Pt 1, Interview Pt 2, Interview Pt 3Tag - What Did We Learn on the Show Tonight, Craig

And in doing my links research for this blog entry, I learned that Tutu was the one guest who changed Ferguson's life

Tutu popped at last year's ELCA Youth Gathering in New Orleans.  He wasn't there, but was quoted as the inspiration for some of last year's keynote speakers.  Craig Kielburger, founder of Free the Children, shared his stirring story of "being the change" in the world.  I just found on their website, Kielburger's reference to Tutu in his own words:

Do you have a morning ritual that gets you ready for the day, mentally/physically/spiritually?
Whether I'm reading it online line or spread out on my kitchen table, I always start my day reading the newspaper. That way I can catch up with what's going on in the world. Archbishop Desmond Tutu once told me the newspaper was like a menu laying out all the world's issues that need our help.
If you're passionate about local issues, it's your first couple pages. If you want to make a difference on national issues, go midway through. If your passion is changing the world, it's always at the end. Either way, it's conveniently divided out for you every single day.


(I guess I wasn't as tired as I thought...)



[This blog automatically feeds my Facebook Notes page; click here to see the original blog]

No comments: